France has the fifth largest economy on the world by nominal figures, and by PPP figures ninth largest.
In EU it's economy is second largest behind Germany and third largest by PPP figures behind Germany and UK.
Largest industries in France are automobile production, telecommunications, construction and civil engineering,
defense and aerospace, ship building, and pharmaceuticals.
Agriculture is very important industry in France as well. The country is EU first agriculture producer and
sixth on the world.
The largest companies in France are:
- Carrefour SA (Retailing),
- Veolia Environnement SA (Public utilities),
- Casino Guichard Perrachon (Retailing),
- Saint Gobain SA (Construction),
- PSA Peugeot Citroen SA (Automotive),
- France Télécom (Telecommunications),
- AXA Group (Financial services),
- Suez (Public utilities),
- Electricité de France SA (Electricity generation),
- VINCI (Construction),
- BNP Paribas (Financial Services),
- Crédit Agricole SA (Financial Services),
- Renault SA (Automotive)
- and Société Générale (Financial Services)