The services sector accounts about 66% of the country GDP and provides around 52% jobs from this sector.
The largest industries in Portugal are automotive and ship industries, tourism, electronics, machinery, cement production, oil refineries, and food industry.
Portugal has several reputed universities: University of Lisbon, Technical University of Lisbon, University of Porto, University of Coimbra, and University of Minho.
The largest companies in Portugal are:
- EDP-Energias de Portugal (Utilities)
- BCP-Bco Com Portugues (Banking)
- Portugal Telecom (Telecommunications services)
- Sonae SGPS (Conglomerates)
- Banco BPI (Diversified financials)
- Brisa (Transportation)
- Cimpor-Cimentos Portugal (Construction)